Elam Baptist Church Pianist Job Description
The position of Pianist at Elam Baptist Church is a very important ministry as it relates to the church’s worship style. The purpose of the position is to facilitate an atmosphere in which God is worshipped and glorified, and to contribute to the music ministry of the Church by playing the piano for congregational singing, choir and special music presented in worship services.
1. This part- time position will primarily be responsible for playing the piano for volunteer choir of approximately 15 plus people, playing the congregational music and assisting with the participation of the Body of Believers in solos, duets, trios, ensembles, etc. with either instrumental or vocal talents on a regular basis in the worship services.
2. This position will be responsible for playing the piano for choir rehearsal and for the music during Sunday morning and Sunday evening worship services. The music style of Elam Baptist Church is traditional with blend of some contemporary praise music.
3. This position requires that one work well with the Music Director, Pastor, other musicians, choir members, soloist, duets, etc. and reports to the Music Director as well as the Senior Pastor.
1. Play for morning and evening worship service, one choir rehearsal each week including offertory, prelude and solos.
2. Play for special services and special choir rehearsals (musical activities such as Revival, Christmas, Easter and other special programs.
3. Consult with the Music Director on matters pertinent to piano maintenance.
4. Perform duties requested by the Music Director and support all areas of the Music Ministry as needed for Sunday Services.
5. Keep work areas neatly maintained and organized, presentable and neat at all times.
6. Providing music for wedding and funerals is not included in the pianist responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements:
1. Individual must be a born again believer in Jesus Christ.
2. Believe in the inerrant Word of God.
3. Ability to read music is required.
4. Possess a strong familiarity with southern gospel music, traditional hymns, gospel music in general.
5. Individual must be able to work well with others.
6. Prior church piano playing experience is preferred (volunteer or paid).
7. Requires passing criminal and sexual misconduct background checks.
8. Requires commitment to biblical Christian principles and teachings.